Thursday, December 3, 2009

Revised Diagnostic Essay

Lifesaving Success
Everyone’s first couple of jobs usually come and go. Although sometimes someone might get lucky and find that job that they truly find irresistible. The majority of the time people can’t wait to get off their scheduled shift to search for a new profession. Whatever the case may be, everyone would rather work at a place they enjoy. Working someplace you enjoy makes the work day fly by. Most people don’t end up working in a career they like. People just stick with it because they never feel like starting over. Times are different now though because of economy being down, jobs are becoming hard to come by.

I had my first job when I was fifteen, my parents made me. My first job was the worst job I’ve experienced. I was a house keeper at a local water park. I had to deal with trash, public bathrooms, and the scorching sun. One time I had bathroom duty and let’s just say someone missed the toilet and I got stuck cleaning up their mess. In the past three years all my jobs have been back to back. Quitting one job and get another one shortly after is uncommon in teens if you ask me. These journeys with each work experience took me threw a lot as far as commitments and responsibilities.

The best job out of the three I’ve had is no doubt the one I have now. I’m currently employed as a lifeguard at a local recreation center, known as Bow Creek. It’s been well over a year since I first started working there, and I’m so grateful I have made it this far. The pay is rewarding and I can’t complain about the hours either. I get paid $8.64 an hour for lifeguarding and $12.17 an hour for teaching swim lesson. In order to teach swim lesson you have to go through Water Safety Instructor training or WSI. It was surprisingly a month long certification class filled with a lot of tough effort. It may not seem like much to a lot people but to me its one of the better paying part time jobs out there. I technically work for the city of Virginia Beach, which has its advantages. Some advantages to working with the city include discounts on local stores or restaurants. A city job is really the way to go for me.

The best part about Bow Creek is the fact that they will work with your availability, which most part time jobs don’t. We have a request off binder we use. Whenever I need time off, I just go to that binder and find the days and simply write the word off on the calendar. Even if I do accidently get scheduled a shift I’m unable to work, there are five other recreation centers I can call to get a substitute. If I’m unable to get my shift covered then most likely the supervisors will work something out with you depending on the severity of reason as to why you need off. Another plus is that the centers close at five o’clock on Saturdays and Sundays. This way I can count on my weekend nights being free.
I’ve met a lot of new people while working for Bow Creek’s aquatic unit. My co-workers and I get along very well and we’re always willing to help each other out. We are always offering to help cover someone’s shift if they need it. I mean that’s more money in our pockets so it works out for both of parties. Its safe to say we’ve all became close friends while working with each other. We are like a little aquatic family, like a school of fish. My supervisors are really down to earth, which makes them easy to talk to. Whenever I have a problem with anything or anyone I feel comfortable enough to bring it up with them. They’re so easy to talk to that we often just talk about our everyday lives to each other while still maintaining a professional image. I appreciate the open door policy and how it’s always an option. Feeling comfortable with everyone comes in handy when a problem arises, makes it easier to find a solution.

Along with meeting my co-workers and developing a bond with them, I also keep a good professional relationship with the patrons (customers). Bow Creek has a lot of regulars that come into the pool area for a good swim. These people are fun to talk with. I enjoy their company while I’m on the lifeguarding stand. Working at Bow Creek allows me to interact with people and that fits perfect with my personality. I don’t just get to interact with people but with kids! I love working with kids. Now that I’m WSI certified I can teach swimming lessons. I’ve waited so long to get this certification I can’t wait to start teaching in January. This job is definitely the best job I’ve ever had.

Although I’ve only had three jobs in my working career, I feel this one is really rewarding. I’m very appreciative of the fact that I found a job at Bow Creek. I really enjoy working with my co-workers and being able to be around people all the time. I plan on keeping this job for awhile until I start my career as an Occupational Therapist or at least till I’m almost done with college. I can’t think of a lot of negatives about this particular job, that’s why it’s the best job I’ve ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment