Thursday, December 3, 2009

Critic of Eng 111

Class Critic
The fall of 2009 being my first semester in college, I didn’t set my expectations as high as I should have. Especially not for Mr.Gasparo’s class, I’m just kidding it wasn’t that bad. In all seriousness I knew it was an English class but I wasn’t used to the fast pace college life. It was difficult for me to adapt to at first but I’m pretty sure I’ve got the hang of it now. Once you’re in college you’ve really got to learn how to perfect your work ethic skills. One important thing I’ve learned this semester being in Mr.Gasparo’s class is how to push myself and be self-motivated. This is an extremely vital skill for a college student to obtain early on in their college career.

Like I said before I knew this class was an English class and they usually require a lot of work. While I was going through this semester I’m not going to lie, I became stressed out a couple of times; mostly in Paul’s class (No offense Paul). Also as I was going through this class I thought it was a lot of work and at times too much to handle with everything else going on in my life. Now, after the fact I sit and think about it the work load wasn’t as much as I previously had thought. Yes I would recommend taking Paul’s class. I just think you need to be self-motivated, show up, and do your best on your assignments.

My peers were something else in this class. I believe this was partly our instructors fault. He set himself up with our loud, obnoxious discussions. Not trying to bash the discussions though because honestly that was my favorite part of the course. Not having to listen to your professor lecture you all about this and that is definitely a plus in my book. He got us involved and allowed us to express how we felt about the information that we went over. This got everyone, well almost everyone comfortable with each other and that’s how we became like a little English 111-60 family. I can really appreciate this because it is nice to have someone you can talk to who is in the same boat as you. I mean my peers were going through the same things as me. Even though sometimes our discussions dragged on a little too long causing us to get out a few minutes late, it was still my favorite part of the class.

Another reason this class is beneficial is because you only have to purchase a little handbook, which is only thirty-eight dollars. All the other material you print out off of Blackboard. Saves you money, but you just have to keep up with the course calendar and have all your materials printed out. Paul’s pretty lenient and understands though, also not what I was expecting from and college professor. He is also really good about getting back to you with e-mails in a timely manner. The can be really helpful when you have questions you need answered before next class.
I really didn’t dislike anything in the course except for maybe getting out late and feeling a little rushed at times.

All in all it was a good experience and really enjoyable at most times. Paul is a funny guy but also knows how to be serious. I recommend taking any of his courses unless you’re a slacker. If you do take his courses I’m confident to say you’re bound to learn something. I’m kind of sad he isn’t teaching English112. His class is not an easy A, but it isn’t like it is impossible to get one. Your grade will reflect the effort you put into your assignments. You should definitely take his class if you like group discussions, understanding instructors, and meeting new people.

1 comment:

  1. Odd. I guess our class did feel a bit family-like at times. And I do plan to address when classes get a as rowdy as ours did, because I realized it had become a hindrance to learning at least a few times. I'm hoping I managed to take that down a notch around mid-semester when it became more apparent to me.

    ReplyDelete